150th Anniversary of the Moorabbin District Road Board

Saturday 5 May marks the 150th Anniversary of the Proclamation of the Moorabbin District Road Board, which signalled the beginning of local government in the area. To commemorate this important event a history panel has been created and is now on display at the Bentleigh Library.

On 5 May 1862 Moorabbin was proclaimed a District Road Board. It covered an area of 36 square miles with a population of approximately 4,500. Its boundaries extended from the outskirts of Brighton and south-east along both sides of the Nepean Road to Mordialloc Creek, and included the areas now known as Hampton, Sandringham, Beaumaris and Mentone.

The first general meeting of the Moorabbin District Road Board was held on 16 June 1862 at the Plough and Harrow Hotel. Colonel William Mair was elected the first Chairman. The Board’s key priorities were to appoint the Board officers, establish its offices, construct and maintain local roads and introduce and manage road tolls and rates.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Colonel William Mair, 1872
First Chairman of The Moorabbin District Road Board
Photographer Thomas Foster Chuck
Source: State Library of Victoria