Cannons

Cannons in Hopetoun Gardens

Located in Hopetoun Gardens in Elsternwick, these 80-pounder guns are rifled muzzle-loading cannons mounted on wooden Dwarf “C” pivot mounts.

The barrels are 6.3 inch (160mm) calibre and each weighs 80 CWT (4064kg).

The cannons were manufactured at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, England in 1866 and were purchased by the Victorian Government for the defence of Port Phillip against a perceived threat of attack by Russian warships.

Originally installed at Fort Gellibrand in Williamstown, the cannons were erected in the Hopetoun Gardens in 1910. The reason for the relocation is not known.

A similar 80-pound gun (also made by the Royal Arsenal in the same year), is located at Portland Battery, in Portland south-west Victoria. It is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (VHR No. H2283), as an extremely rare example of nineteenth century naval artillery and is of scientific (technological) significance.