War Memorials in Glen Eira

War Memorial Caulfield Park War Memorial, Caulfield Park

The largest and grandest war memorial in Glen Eira, it was erected in Caulfield Park in 1930 to honour the citizens of Caulfield who served as volunteers in the First World War (1914–1918). The memorial was later updated to include an inscription commemorating those who fought in the Second World War (1939–1945).

A competition for the design of a memorial at Caulfield was advertised in November 1927. The City of Caulfield invited returned soldiers or sailors to submit designs and offered prizes of 50, 30 and 20 pounds for the three best entries. Eighteen designs were received and on Monday 16 December 1929 the winners were announced in the Argus. First prize of 50 pounds was awarded to Geelong architect Norman Edwin Schefferle. Second prize of 30 pounds was awarded to Phillip B. Hudson and Wardrop (Phillip B. Hudson, Wardrop and Ussher) architects and the third prize of 20 pounds went to W.H. Eales and Stuart P. Calder architects. The total cost of the project was estimated at 4,776 pounds.

The memorial is made of marble, granite and sandstone and features decorative bronze wreaths on the corners of the raised platform. The composition of the design is unique. According to the War Memorial Conservation Report it is one of only five war memorials in Victoria to consist of a circular set of columns and the only one of this design to be elevated and surrounded by flights of steps.

 

Other War memorials located in our parks

 

Bentleigh/Hodgson Reserve, Memorial garden

"Memorial Drinking Fountain". The monument was unveiled on 25 July 1920. The design includes a marble scroll listing the names of those who served in the First World War. A bronze plaque was added later and includes the dates of the Second World War, Malay, Vietnam and Borneo conflicts.

Caulfield Park

 “War Memorial", facing Hawthorn Road. This is the largest and grandest war memorial in Glen Eira and was erected in 1930. The main inscription reads: "This memorial was erected in honor of those citizens of Caulfield who volunteered their services in the Great War 1914–1918. May it forever remind us that we enjoy a liberty maintained and enriched by the sacrifice of many lives upon this stone is now inscribed our gratitude for those citizens of Caulfield who defended the cause of freedom in the Second World War 1939–1945"

"Beer-Sheba Israel Memorial", facing Hawthorn Road. The plaque was unveiled on 25 April 1995 and was erected to commemorate the Light Horse Charge of Beer-Sheba in 1917, during World War I (1914–1919). The last triumphant cavalry charge, in world history.

 "Raoul Wallenberg Memorial Plaque". The plaque commemorates the planting of a tree (directly behind the plaque) in honour of Raoul Wallenberg, a Swedish diplomat who saved 100,000 Jewish lives in Hungary during World War II.

 "Memorial Stone". Located in front of a rose garden planted in the shape of a cross as a sign of respect. The garden also has a large planting of rosemary which is the traditional symbol of remembrance and is particularly significant here as it can be found growing on the wild slopes of Gallipoli. Sprigs of Rosemary are worn on ANZAC Day, and often on Remembrance Day, by veterans and others attending commemorative services and parades. The Memorial Stone lists the names of 298 individuals who died in the in World War I. The stone originally marked North Road Avenue of Honour which no longer exists.

 "Aleppo Pine". The tree was planted from the original Lone Pine on Gallipoli. The plaque reads: "Aleppo Pine (Pinus Brutia) from the original Lone Pine on Gallipoli grown in the Jubilee Year 1965 planted in memory of departed comrades 'Lest We Forget'".

Koornang Park

 "War Memorial", located at the Koornang Road end of the park. The stone memorial was erected on 25 April 1952.

 "Memorial Swimming Pool 1914–1918, 1939–1945", Moira Avenue, Carnegie

McKinnon Memorial garden

"Memorial Garden" and "Obelisk". The park is located in McKinnon Road, McKinnon. The large granite obelisk is dedicated to those residents who served in the Frist World War. The memorial includes a list of names of those who served. A plaque was added in memory of those who fell in the Second World War, Malaya, Korea, Vietnam and Borneo.

Memorial Park

"Memorial Park" and "Avenue of Honour Plaques". Located in Kooyong Road, Caulfield the park was opened on 23 November 1997. The main feature is a low semi-circular wall displaying memorial plaques honouring individuals who died in the First World War. The main plaque reads: "In this year of Australia's Centenary of Federation these memorial plaques have been re-sited from their original position in the Avenues of Honour in North Road, McMillan Street and Point Nepean Road. These memorials were originally placed by the Councils of the former City of Caulfield and the Town of Brighton. They are dedicated to the servicemen who came from this district who died in the Great War of 1914–1918 ..."